Copycat Gluten Free Pizza Hut Breadsticks
Do you miss Pizza Hut Breadsticks? I love Pizza Hut breadsticks and miss them since being gluten free. I found a version for copycat breadsticks and I made my own gluten free version. These breadsticks are soft inside, with a thin, almost crispy layer outside, and covered in seasoning.
Yield: 12 breadsticks
¼ cup non-fat dry milk powder
4 cups GF Naturals Flour, plus more for sprinkling
1 tablespoon granulated sugar or monk fruit
2 ¼ teaspoons rapid rise yeast
1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 tablespoons Olive oil
1 1/3 cups warm water (about 95°F)
15 oz tomato sauce
1 t sugar or monk fruit
1 t dried oregano
½ t basil
½ t marjoram
½ t garlic powder
¼ t salt
2 T Parmesan cheese
1 T onion powder
1 T oregano
1 ¾ t garlic powder
1 ½ t dried basil
½ t salt
12 T unsalted butter divided and melted
- Proof Yeast:Place water, yeast, sugar and salt into a bowl and let the mixture rise with a ¼ - ½ head on it.Allow to sit until the mixture starts to bubble, about 2-5 minutes.
- Make the dough. Place the flour, dry milk, in a bowl and mix together.
- Use an electric mixture with a dough hook on low speed. Gradually add flour and water mixture and mix. When done add the olive oil and stir again. Mix with dough hook for about 5 minutes. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and divided in two.
- Coast the bottom of two 9x13 inch pans with 4 T each of the melted butter. Roll each piece of dough into a 9x13 inch rectangle and fit in the bottom of each pan. Brush the tops of the dough with 1 T melted butter each. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and place in a warm, draft-free area until puffed and nearly double in size about 90 min.
- Make dipping sauce: While the dough is rising, prepare the dipping sauce. In. a small saucepan, stir together the tomato sauce, sugar, oregano, basil, marjoram, garlic powder, and salt. Place over medium heat until the sauce begins to boil, then reduce to low and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Breadstick seasoning: while the breadsticks are in the oven, prepare the breadstick seasoning. In a small bowl, stir together the Parmesan cheese, onion powder, oregano, garlic powder, basil and salt.
- As soon as the breadsticks come out of the oven, brush each pan with the remaining 1 tablespoon each melted butter, then immediately sprinkle with the breadstick seasoning. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes in the pan then use a spatula to slide the breadsticks out onto a cutting board. Slice the breadsticks with a pizza cutter or knife and serve warm or at room temperature with the dipping sauce
Note: you can also mix and knead this dough by hand-just knead a smooth, slightly tacky ball forms.